Photo of Greco Law attorneys in office conference room

Custody considerations after an international move

On Behalf of | Mar 25, 2024 | Child Custody, Divorce |

Child custody arrangements can be complex enough when both parents are living in the same state after their divorce. However, if you or your Ohio child’s other parent move to another country, it can be even harder to ensure that your rights are protected. Fortunately, there are steps that can be taken to preserve the best interests of your child in these types of situations.

Amend the custody agreement

The first step in a scenario in which your child is relocating outside state lines is to amend the current custody agreement. If you are the one moving, you may need to be prepared to give up custody of your child in favor of visitation rights. For instance, you may be given the right to call or interact with your son or daughter through digital means. Depending on the child’s age, trips during school breaks to spend time with you may be appropriate.

Be aware of international law

A custody agreement won’t necessarily be recognized in another country. Therefore, you could effectively lose your right to enforce your parenting plan if your child sets foot outside of the United States. You’ll also have to consider that it may be easier to take your child to a third country after completing the original move. Ultimately, you’ll need to ensure that you trust your former partner enough to not do anything that would interfere with your parental rights.

Supervised visitation may be an option

A lack of trust in your former spouse isn’t enough to deny visitation on your own. However, you may be able to insist on supervised visits to ensure that your child comes home or is otherwise treated well while away from home.

Any child custody plan must take the best interests of the child into account. Therefore, even if you don’t want your son or daughter leaving the country, you may need to at least consider it.